When we were planning our trip to Mexico, we definitely wanted to check off the Mayan Ruins from our travel bucket list. We were debating between Cancun and Tulum for our accommodation.
We wanted something closer to the beach, ruins, and the usual city/hangout area. Then we looked at Playa del Carmen (or PDC). Playa del Carmen was the ideal location as its just an hour away from all of the Mayan ruins that we wanted to visit and had amazing beaches, adventure sports, and more. What sealed the deal was our all-inclusive hotel – Gran Porto Real Resort.
Disclosure: This page contains affiliate links. If you click one of them, we may receive a small commission at no extra cost to you.
Gran Porto Real Playa del Carmen
Gran Porto Resort is located in the heart of Playa del Carmen, in the Yucatan coastal area in the state of Quintana Roo. It is an ideal all-inclusive resort with pools, restaurants and bars, private beach, and entertainment.
Read about our Playa del Carmen Itinerary
Gran Porto Resort in Playa del Carmen Amenities
Gran Porto Resort is just minutes away from all the major sightseeing spots in the Yucatan area. It is a beautiful resort – painted in a bright yellow color.
The resort property levies a resort fee, which is included in the per night stay pricing. A standard room is actually very spacious and airy. There is a big attached bathroom, TV, and a sitting area. Room rates start at 110 USD
- As an all-inclusive property, Gran Porto Real offers meals and drinks in its hotel stay. It has 6 restaurants with a variety of cuisines and flavors – Albatros (buffet style), Maria’s (Mexican A La carte), Brazilian Restaurant, ll Pescatore (Italian), Parillada Grill (poolside grill), Health & Sushi Bar (Oriental). In addition to that, there is a 24-hour self-service snacks table and open bars
- The resort has a private beach and non-motorized water equipment are included in the hotel price. Activities include snorkeling, kayaking, and scuba diving lessons
- The location of the resort is its USP. It is located minutes away from the 5th Avenue shopping district. 5th Avenue is a bustling shopping area with restaurants, souvenir stores, and art displays.
- Gran Porto has free parking and free wi-fi throughout the resort complex
- The resort rooms were clean. Housekeeping, reception and restaurant staff were helpful and friendly.
- Some tour agencies operate at the resort. You can avail of their services by booking a van or day tour. Most tour agencies would pick up and drop off from Gran Porto Real Resort. Read all the excursions to take in PDC, Riviera Maya
- Photography services were also available at the resort (like family, wedding or couples photography)
- Spa services and in-room massage services are available.
- Hair salon services – present on site
- There were on-site theme parties, live music, and entertainment
Gran Porto Real in Playa del Carmen Review
We stayed at the Gran Porto Real Resort for 4 nights and 5 days. Check-in time was 3:00 pm local time. We arrived a little early and were allowed to have lunch and check-in early at no cost. We booked our hotel along with our flight tickets with WestJet Vacations from Canada.
We were given a wristband to wear throughout our stay, to avail of the unlimited food and drinks that were included. Our favorite restaurant was the Albatros – we liked the buffet-style with multiple cuisines. This restaurant was located in the resort property, on their ground floor.
Our room was located on the ground floor too. We had quick access to the reception, pool, and beach. Panama Jack also owns another property, next to Gran Porto Real Resort and we had access to their beach as well.
During our visit, the resort was undergoing some renovations, but they kept the guest’s comfort in mind, which we really appreciated. Currently, this resort has been renamed, as Panama Jack Gran Porto Real Resort.
What we liked most about our stay at the Gran Porto Resort
- The bar – Delicious margaritas and finger foods.
- Beach and swimming pool – We spent our evenings at the beach, had dinner and then would just laze around at the pool-side
- Our day tours – All of our day tours were coordinated well from Gran Porto Resort.
- Our room was clean and spacious. I loved the little area in front of the washroom – the perfect place to get ready!
- The staff at the resort were very friendly. They decorated our beds on one of the nights. Also left a card and a bottle of wine for us – they really made our stay very comfortable and memorable at the Gran Porto Real.
- The resort has a souvenir store as well. But I would recommend purchasing souvenirs from the nearby 5th Avenue shopping District as it is cheaper and had a great variety
We enjoyed our pool-party on our final day. Great way to bid adieu to this wonderful place
So why wait, here is a link to the resort and you can book your stay right here!
All-Inclusive Hotels in Playa del Carmen near 5th Avenue
If you plan on staying in Playa del Carmen, I definitely recommend staying near the 5th Avenue shopping district. 5th Avenue is a happening spot in PDC with tons of restaurants, souvenirs shopping, art display, and bars. The Frida Kahlo restaurant is also on 5th Avenue.
If shopping is not your thing, I would still recommend staying in this area, because of safety. The 5th avenue district and the resorts in and around the shopping district are patrolled by the Mexican police. This is actually a good thing – you can take a walk or bar hop until late at night, without any worries.
If you want to prepare for your trip to Mexico, read my post – Everything you need to know before your Mexico trip
Our stay at Gran Porto Real was amazing. This was one of the best all-inclusive resorts that we had stayed in. Our trip to Mexico was memorable due to the lovely hospitality of the staff of Gran Porto Resort. We would definitely recommend this resort to you if you are visiting Playa del Carmen.
Additional Mexico travel resources
- Guide to Chichen Itza – Chichen Itza Exploration
- Tulum Ruins Guide – Visit Tulum Ruins and Beach
- Transport Guide – PDC to Tulum ways to travel
- More hotels at Where to stay in Playa del Carmen