Zurich is one of the most visited places in Switzerland and rightly so as it is the financial capital of the country with the finest infrastructure and a charming old town – Altstadt. In this where to stay in Zurich guide, we will provide you with neighborhood information to choose your accommodation.
We have also narrowed down to 8 best places to stay in Zurich – for all budget types, travel styles, and occasions – from the trendiest and touristy areas to quaint and quiet neighborhoods.
Where to stay in Zurich guide with 8 best places to stay in Zurich
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links. If you click one of them, we may receive a small commission at no extra cost to you
Zurich is divided into 12 districts known as “Kreis” in German. For transportation purposes and fare, Zurich is similarly divided into zones. For your stay in Zurich for 2 days or longer, purchase a Zurich card that allows you to save money with unlimited tram/train rides as well as free or discounted sightseeing entries.
Keep in mind, cheaper the accommodation is, it will be located further away from the premium old town of Zurich.
8 best places to stay in Zurich – Guide to the best area to stay in Zurich
So here are at the top 8 best places to stay in Zurich with all-star hotels ranging from luxury ($350 USD +), mid ($200+), and budget options ($100+). It is very rare to find a hotel under $100 USD a night in a prime location and if you see one – book it right away. No hostels are included in this review.
|Hotel||Best For||Book Here|
Most Popular ★
First time visitors
|Seestrasse Apartments Drei Könige||$$|
Long term stay
|Hotel ibis Zurich Adliswil||$|
|25hours Hotel Langstrasse||$$|
Most Popular ★
Trendy and hip
Access to cafes &
|25Hours Hotel West||$$|
|Holiday Inn Express||$+|
Free Airport shuttle
Old Town or Altstadt – District 01 (Kreis 1)
The old town of Zurich is called the Altstadt and it is the heart of the city of Zurich. The Limmat river flows through the town making it absolutely picturesque and is surrounded by historical landmarks and iconic buildings including the shopping street – Bahnhofstrasse, Opera House, and churches.
This old town neighborhood is in District 01 and it is a great option for first-time visitors to the city, for couples and luxury travelers.
Top tourist attractions in district one Zurich or Altstadt
- Grossmünster – Grossmünster is a Romanesque-style Protestant church in Zürich and one of the iconic city landmarks. Wherever you go the church follows you in Zurich.
- Münsterbrücke – This is a pedestrian and road bridge, located near the Grossmünster and over the Limmat river Zürich – the perfect spot for amazing photos!
- Bahnhofstrasse – Once upon a time, Bahnhofstrasse was known as the “ditch of frogs” and today its the most expensive street in Zurich. It is filled with restaurants, luxury retail boutiques, and leafy trees!
- Limmat River – Limmat River flows through the old town, making the city so picturesque. During summers, you can take a stroll by the river banks or go on a cruise. There are tons of activities in and around the lakeside to partake in.
- Lindenhof Hill – Lindenhof hill and park area was the site of a Roman castle, and today it provides a cool oasis with amazing city views.
There are many benefits to staying in Old Town and a few cons to keep in mind as well.
Where to stay in Zurich Old Town district
- Storchen Zurich – A luxury boutique hotel, located only a 2 minute walk from the tram station, with stunning views of the Limmat River and old town.
- Storchen Zurich offers free breakfast and wifi.
- Paid parking and laundry service are available.
- The hotel is accessible.
- 5 star hotel
- More about the luxury Storchen Zurich here
- Romantik Hotel Europe – Perfect for the couple’s stay, Romantik Hotel Europe is a 19th-century hotel located only 2 minutes walk away from the Opera House. Essentially in the Seefeld area in district 1/2, this family-run hotel offers great views and vintage classy interiors.
- Close to Lake Zurich promenade, Chinese garden, Theater im Seefeld plus all the old town highlights including Bahnhofstrasse and Paradeplatz
- Offers complimentary breakfast and wifi.
- Is pet-friendly.
- Check prices here and reviews here
- Hotel Motel one Zurich – This is a good budget option to stay in Zurich district 01.
- Great location, standard and comfortable interiors at a good value.
- No free breakfast, but free wifi
- Pet friendly
- Check prices for Hotel Motel One here
Enge – District 02
The second most sought after best areas to stay in Zurich is District 2 or the neighborhood of Enge. It is home to the Lake Zurich promenade, with many international cuisine restaurants, and the popular FIFA World Football Museum.
Top tourist attractions in district 02
- FIFA World Football Museum – Home to over 1000 different exhibits, library, and a bar. Open Tuesday through Sunday
- Botanical Gardens of Zurich
- Lake Zurich Promenade – Lake Zurich Promenade is a lovely oasis in the middle of the city. This is the cruise terminal from where cruises to Zurich Lake depart from.
- Zürcher Spielzeugmuseum – Zürcher Spielzeugmuseum is a toy museum, displaying antique toys and children’s games and books, dating back to the 18th century.
- Ethnographic Museum of the University of Zürich – Ethnographic Museum in Zurich is the third oldest ethnological museum of Switzerland.
- Seebad Enge lido – An urban park where you can go sun-bathing or a light stroll.
- Museum Rietberg – This is the only art museum in Switzerland, displaying non-European art – from Asian, African, American, and Oceanian cultures.
- Thermal Water spa – Enjoy panoramic views and soak in thermal waters. Learn about it here
Top hotels to stay in Enge district
- Seestrasse Apartments Drei Könige – Apartment style 3-star hotel, with roomy quarters offering a kitchenette (and balconies on some)
- Quick access to lakeside swimming at Seebad Enge and the Arboretum, and parks with play areas.
- A great choice for families and long term stays.
- Has free wifi on site
- Check prices and reviews here
- FIFA Hotel Ascot Zurich – Located near the Enge train station, FIFA Hotel Ascot is a 4-star modern hotel, located on the edge of Lake Zurich.
- This hotel is pet friendly and offers free breakfast.
- Read reviews and check prices here
- Hotel ibis Zurich Adliswil – This hotel is a budget, yet a colorful option to stay in district 2.
- This brightly yellow colored hotel offers standard rooms, with free wifi and breakfast
- Free parking is available and is pet friendly
- Book your stay here
Langstrasse – District 04
If you are planning to stay in Zurich for the long term and wish to explore the nontouristy side of the city, consider booking a hotel in District 04 – Langstrasse.
District 04 is a perfect balance where you can enjoy local vibes and yet keep yourself busy with nightlife and cultural activities.
Langstrasse was a former Red Light District of Zurich. But today this neighborhood is mostly residential and has some of the trendiest bars and nightclubs in the city for you to hang out.
During summer you can stroll at their wonderful parks or indulge in concerts and mingle with locals. This district is more about cultural experiences than checking off monuments and buildings.
Top things to do in district 04
- Tons nightlife and entertainment
- Culinary delights – Restaurants and bars – Josef, Dusky bar are quite popular
Top hotels to stay in Langstrasse district
- 25hours Hotel Langstrasse – A 4-star trendy hotel, set in a red brick building the 25Hours hotel is an attraction in this neighborhood.
- The hotel has a hip decor and interiors including a bar area.
- Located a 14-minute walk from Zürich train station and 1 km from Bahnhofstrasse shopping street.
- The hotel is surrounded by trendy bars and restaurants.
- Offers free wifi and is pet friendly
- Book your stay at the 25 hours hotel
- easyHotel Zurich – A budget option located in a cool neighborhood
- Offers a ton of amenities – faxing, business services, paid parking, free wifi
- Easy check-in and check out.
- Cons: No hairdryer or elevator
- Check out easyHotel rooms here
Zurich West – District 05
Once upon a time, Zürich-West was home to factories and chugging of machines, today it is considered as one of the trendiest places to stay in Zurich. This neighborhood is filled with educational and cultural institutions including high-end designer stores and night clubs giving it a very unique feel.
This neighborhood moves away from Zürich Hauptbahnhof and the Limmat river but is connected easily to the center – thanks to the tramway.
Zurich West is home to a secondary Opera house and many arts venues – as abandoned warehouses are now bought to life.
View this post on Instagram
If you're looking for urban lifestyle, design boutiques and stacked shipping containers, look no further than Zürich-West district😃. Halls formerly used to build ships and other industrial goods now feature as hip stores and cafés🛍️. One of them is located in these shipping containers (shot by @viertel.vor.zwoelf) and has a beautiful vantage point on top. Go get those views😎! Thanks for sharing your moments with #VisitZurich & tagging us @visitzurich . . . #ZurichLove #ilovezurich #ig_zurich #zurich #visitswitzerland #zurich_switzerland #zurichswitzerland #beautifulplaces #ZüriWest #ZürichWest #freitagstore #industrialchic
Top tourist attractions in district 05
- FREITAG tower – This cool stack of containers is a shopping center. Climb the top of the building to enjoy the view onto Zurich.
- Frau Gerold’s Garden – Frau Gerold’s garden is a cool area to hang out and wander at the market place on weekends or during the week. This area is located close to the Prime Tower.
- The Viadukt – Eat and drink at the Viadukt – cool area with street cafes.
Top hotels to stay in Zurich West
- 25hours Hotel Zurich West – Another 25 hours hotel to have made it to this list. And why not, this one comes with cool and trendy interiors while being located in a nice neighborhood.
- Another BONUS is that it offers free breakfast – which is uncommon for hotels in this district.
- The hotel also has a rooftop sauna and dining options on-site as well
- Book your stay at the 25hours Hotel Zurich West
- Hotel Novotel Zurich City West – This is a lovely 4-star hotel in Zurich west, perfect for mid-budget level travelers.
- The indoor pool is amazing and also comes with a rooftop terrace.
- Great location with quick access to train and tram lines.
- Book your stay here
- Hotel Züri by Fassbind – Hotel Zuri is a contemporary-style – 4-star hotel.
- This is a great option for mid-budget level accommodation.
- It is an 8-minute walk from Zürich Hardbrücke train station and 3 km from shopping and cafes on Bahnhofstrasse.
- The hotel has an on-site fitness center and a sauna. Free wifi is offered at the hotel and it is also pet friendly.
- Check out Hotel Zuri here
Zurich Nord & airport area – District 11
Zurich airport is located 15 minutes from the north of the city. And Zürich Nord becomes an apt option to stay in if you are arriving late at night or have to catch a flight early.
The airport will be less than 10 minutes away from most hotels in Zurich Nord.
Zurich Nord is located in District 11 and it sits pretty behind the two hills of Käferberg and Zürichberg.
If you are looking for no-frills, straightforward hotels with no views but cheaper accommodation – Zurich Nord is the answer for you.
Keep in mind that this area is located about 45-50 minutes away from the city center, which means you will be crossing many tram zones and spending time in commute. You will be able to find a few restaurants to dine, but most likely the hotels will also have cafes/restaurants on-site.
We highly recommend getting the Zurich Card if you are staying in this part of the city. You will save money on tram rides and get discounted tickets for attractions.
If you are in town for concerts or sports events, then Zurich Nord is a good option for you, as the indoor stadium and the biggest event hall – the Hallenstadion and the MFO Park are located in the district.
Top tourist attractions in district 11
- The Hallenstadion – This is the biggest event hall in Zurich hosting a ton of concerts and other musical events.
- MFO Park – The MFO-Park is a public park in the Oerlikon quarter.
Top hotels to stay in Zurich Nord
- Hilton Zurich Airport – This Hilton property is a 4-star hotel.
- One of the great things about staying here is access to great views of the nearby areas.
- Casual interiors, the hotel comes with fitness and sauna rooms.
- And the standard free wifi.
- If you are traveling with pets – this is your place. They are pet friendly.
- Check out Hotel Zurich Hilton prices
- Holiday Inn Express Zurich Airport – The Holiday Express Inn is a 3-star hotel located near the airport.
- The BONUS of staying at this hotel is an airport shuttle, which lacks in other hotels that we have reviewed.
- Free breakfast is included – all within a mid-budget hotel rate.
- The Old town is 40 minutes away by tram from the hotel.
- Book your stay at the Holiday Inn Hotel Zurich Airport
- Hotel ibis Budget Airport – This is a budget hotel located near the airport and right in front of a tram station.
- You can easily find a room here below $90 USD.
- They have a breakfast area plus coin-operated laundry and a business center on-site.
- Also provides free Wifi and paid parking. Rooms have bunk beds and air conditioning
- Check out Hotel ibis Budget Hotel here
Conclusion – Where to stay in Zurich – Neighborhoods and best area to stay in Zurich
Here is the map of neighborhoods with the best places to stay in Zurich by traveler reviews.
We have included a quick summary of the neighborhoods in the city of Zurich below, with links to hotels for price comparison across different hotel sites and deals.
District 01 – Old Town
This is the heart of the city. It is perfect for first-timers, couples, and short term stay.
District 02 – Enge/Left side of the shore
Home to the beautiful Enge station and a variety of parks, this area is the most sought after, after the historic old town.
District 03 – Wiedikon
Located close to Zurich’s very own mountain, Uetliberg – Wiedikon is home to cozy cafés, boutiques, and vintage stores, and is a residential neighborhood.
District 04 – Langstrasse
Trendy neighborhood. This should be on your list for your future visits to Zurich and if you love an active nightlife. Also great for foodie lovers and those looking for long term stays
District 05 – Zurich West
Former industrial area and today’s trendy neighborhood, stay in Zurich west for its amazing eateries, bars, night clubs, and cultural centers.
District 6 – University Quarter
Situated in the midst of students in the University area and close to tons of green parks and quick access to the historic city center.
District 07 – Zurich berg
Located in a picturesque neighborhood with little traffic, but an expensive price tag Zurichberg is a good option if you wish to stay away from the tourist attractions. Zurich Zoo is located in the district.
District 08 – northeastern edge of Lake Zurich
This district starts behind the Opera House and has tons of options for people who love spa and sunbathing type of activities in Zurich – Seebad Tiefenbrunnen and the Seebad Utoquai outdoor swimming bath.
District 09 – Uetliberg
Just like District 03, District 09 is located at the foothills of Uetliberg Mountain making it a perfect option for those looking for views. Also home to Letzigrund Stadium.
District 10 – Right of the Limmat River
Perfect for those visiting in the summer to enjoy the warm weather and beach activities.
District 11 – Zurich Nord
Located close to the airport with cheaper accommodation and transport systems, Zurich Nord is a great option to stay for business travelers or those who are transiting through Zurich to other cities.
District 12 – Schwamendingen
Schwamendingen is the answer to enjoying a small town or Swiss village-like ambiance, near the metro city of Zurich. Located on the east side of the city, Schwamendingen is filled with green areas making it perfect for fitness lovers and those traveling with young children.
Hope you found this list of best hotels to stay and the area guide to Zurich useful. We have more hotels guide to help you choose the right accommodation and neighborhood in various cities of the world. Find all the accommodation guides here
P.S: Please join my new awesome Facebook group where we discuss all things travel, culture, and trip planning. Let’s build a tribe together ✈️ Join Here.
Read other Switzerland Guides
- Winter Guide: Visiting Switzerland in Winter
- Scenic Trains: Top scenic train routes in Switzerland
- Switzerland Itinerary: 7 days in Switzerland Itinerary