10 Best Day Tours from Paris – History | Wine | Disney
Francois I, the king of France, rightly said, “Paris isn’t a city, it’s a world”. Definitely, there are lots to see and explore in Paris and each day you spend here will definitely take your breath away. We explored the Parisian highlights in 4 days and then we were greedy. We wanted to experience a little more of France. So we decided to take day tours from Paris to the beautiful countryside to explore castles, learn about history and art, wines and more.
These tours range from a half-day to a full day with 10-14 hours of sightseeing. And they brought us back to the city of Paris just in time to enjoy the night! Here are our top day tours from Paris that you should take.
Best Day tours from Paris: Guide to easy day trips from Paris
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links. If you click one of them, we may receive a small commission at no extra cost to you
Day trip from Paris or tours: Why take day tours from Paris France?
All of the spots mentioned here can be taken as a day trip from Paris. If you are renting a vehicle, know about parking fees, directions and of course entrance fees to each landmark.
If using public transportation like buses and trains for each day trip, will add additional travel time, leaving fewer daylight hours for actual exploration. Entry fees remain the same for all, regardless.
We found day tours to be a better option, especially because French landmarks and palaces are notorious for long queues, having a guide with you will make it easy to enter the palace, learn about its history and more. Tours to the wine valley mean you want to drink – so don’t drive – hire someone to take you around – take a day tour!
- Day tours are convenient and hassle-free. The tour guide is a local expert who picks you up and takes you around.
- Learn about history – Guided tours are educational and fun, you learn so much about the place and the sightseeing monument that you are visiting. Some have an option of audio guided tours or a live guide.
- Perfect if you didn’t have time to do your own research.
- Great for people who don’t drive and better for people who LOVE to save money on car rentals, insurance and finding directions.
- The tours mentioned below are priced between $65 – 360 USD a day per person. So it covers per day travel expenses and helps to stay on budget.
Best Day Tours from Paris for history buffs
Day trip to Versailles from Paris
This our favorite day trip from Paris. There is so much history and grandeur at the Palace of Versailles that we definitely do recommend to include this in your itinerary. Day tours to Versailles from Paris can be done as half day or full day, depending on the time you have and your interests.
A typical day tour will start with pick up from a central location in Paris to the Palace of Versailles grounds, followed by a guided tour of the palace (oh yea tons of history. Paradise for history lovers like me). Once the guided tour is complete, there is free time to explore and take pictures of the Versailles Gardens and fountains (Jardins du Château de Versailles)
For most full day tours, you will be exploring the town of Versailles in addition to the palace guided tour. It includes sightseeing of the town and lesser-known tourist spots like the Marie-Antoinette’s Estate and the Grand Trianon.
The Palace of Versailles was built by Louis IX. He moved the royal residence from the Lourve Palace to Versailles and constructed it with utmost opulence and luxury. The palace has witnessed a lot of history – from the outing of the French monarchs to the French revolution to the signing of the Treaty of Versailles in 1919.
The Palace of Versailles is one of the MOST visited palaces in France. Regardless of when you arrive there, it will be crowded and without a guide, you could be stranded for hours.
A tour guide will purchase entry tickets for you and take you in from an “express door”, leaving the crowd of people without tours, waiting for their turn.
Why take the Versailles tour from Paris?
- Can be done half-day or full day
- The full day tour includes lunch, return trip, guided tour of the Versailles Palace and estates. Book here
- You can beat the crowds and go into the palace complex
- Tours are conducted on buses and are usually full. You can get a private tour (in a car) for a premium price.
- Click here to check prices for a day tour from Paris to Versailles
Day Tour from Paris to Normandy – D Day Tours of Normandy Beaches
One of the popular day trips from Paris is to Normandy. Normandy is remembered from a historical perspective as it played an important part in deciding the fate of the Second World War
The Battle of Normandy was the invasion of Normandy in France led by Allied powers (half of which were American troops) in June 1944, during the Second World War. This battle is also called Operation Overlord or D-Day in history books and was a turning point in deciding the fate of World War II.
In June 1944, the Allied forces launched a combined naval, air and land assault on Nazi-occupied France. The Allied forces landed on the Normandy beaches and this marked the start of a lengthy and costly campaign to liberate north-west Europe from German occupation.
The battle resulted in overwhelming the Germans and eventually freedom for France. The battle also saw the victory of the Allied Powers, but it also witnessed the highest number of deaths for American soldiers.
The Battle of Normandy lasted from 6th June 1944 to mid of July 1944. This is the single MOST important battle fought in World War II.
In a day tour from Paris to Normandy, you will explore the battleground – WWII landing beaches, visit the Caen Memorial Museum, including the American Cemetery in Saint Laurent (10,000 white cross graves). You will learn in-depth about the war plans, maps, and photos. You will also see a Nazi bunker and many other historical items in this tour.
This tour lasts 12 to 14 hours. So it is a full-day tour with a guide, and this 14-hour tour includes lunch options and the transportation is wheelchair accessible. It is also a small group tour.
Why take a tour of Normandy?
- A guided tour will provide you with historical facts and interesting information
- No planning or research, just get up and go.
- Click to view prices and review of a day tour from Paris to Normandy day beaches here
Visiting Mont St Michel – Day Tour from Paris
Let’s go further back, from World War II to medieval times in Normandy, where the Mont St Michel is located.
It is believed that the Mont St Michel was conceived in a dream and is a testimony to god’s beautiful creation on earth. The Benedictine abbey located here looks high up to the sky at 302 feet towards the heavenly abode. It is a spectacular sight at any time of day.
The island of Mont Saint Michel is very picturesque and never ceases to amaze tourists.
Mont Saint Michel and the 11th century Gothic Abbey is important as the site of Christian civilization. It was unconquered during the Hundred Years war.
The Abbey has also seen the transition of its existence from an abbey (to a secular abbey) to a prison during the French Revolution. Its strategic location in terms of fortifications cannot be denied.
During the middle ages, the Abbey was frequented by pilgrims and hermits for centuries. And today it is a UNESCO World Heritage Site and it draws millions of visitors.
The day tour from Paris to Mont Saint Michel is for 14 hours – a full day tour and includes a return trip, guided tour of the Abbey and ample free time to explore the spectacular Bay.
Why take a day tour of Mont Saint Michel?
- Because Mont Saint Michel is located on an island, the road to arrive there is tricky. Although in recent years, accessibility to the island has improved, taking a tour will alleviate the hassle of finding the way and driving there.
- Even on a guided tour, you can expect tons of free time for photography and relaxation.
- Considerable time spent on walking, so wear comfortable shoes.
- Click see prices of day tour from Paris to Mont Saint Michel here
Day Trip from Paris to Giverny Tour with Monet’s Garden
Giverny is a commune located about an hour and a half away from Paris. The village of Giverny was discovered by the famous French painter, Claude Monet. He was a French Impressionist Painter and he lived and died in Giverny.
Monet’s house and the stunning gardens are preserved in Giverny and are open to tourists for visit. In fact, Giverny is one of the popular communes these days to be frequented by travelers.
Claude Monet found inspiration for his masterpieces from the village of Giverny, the boats and the pond with water lilies. He lived in a pink house and his garden was curated by him personally with lovely flowers and plants.
After Monet, many American Impressionists found its way to Giverny and established their artwork there. You can also explore a lot of art galleries in Giverny. So if you are an art history fan, don’t miss this day tour.
Most of the art networks and colony disappeared after the First World War.
Why take this tour of Giverny?
- Great for arts and history lovers
- Good restaurants – Les Nympheas and the Impressionism Museum is located near Monet’s House
- The commune of Giverny is very different from Paris. There are tons of greenery and pathways for a walk, stroll or hike
- As the gardens are a major tourist attraction, they never look the same all year round. Regardless of when you visit, you will be pleasantly surprised and mesmerized.
- Great as a day tour – half day or full day. Click to view prices below
- Summer months are great for a visit to the Monet’s gardens, but they will be super crowded as it’s a popular destination. Try visiting in offseason to beat the rush.
- No photography is allowed inside Monet’s house
Loire Valley Tours from Paris
Loire Valley is the picturesque town known for its history and architecture, wines and vineyards.
Did you know that the longest river in France is the Loire?
The Loire Valley is known for its historic towns and its most popular attraction is the Chateau de Chenonceau. The stunning chateau pulls tourists to the valley. The chateau is built in a mix of Gothic and early Renaissance style architecture. It boasts of over 400 rooms and 360 chimneys and elaborate designs which makes it one of the most extravagant French Renaissance castles.
The medieval and historic towns of the Loire Valley include – Blois, Amboise, Tours (affectionately called the Garden of France), Angers and Samur, Saint-Nazaire to name a few.
The Loire Valley is attributed to the origins of unique songwriting, with a combination of words, music, and illuminations. The valley is also credited due to its rare association of Renaissance architecture with contemporary art.
Today, the central part of the river valley from Chalonnes-sur-Loire to Sully-sur-Loire is listed as a UNESCO World Heritage Site due to its history, culture, and architecture.
The guided tour of the Loire Valley includes a visit to the famous castles: Chambord, Cheverny, and the Chenonceau. This tour is a great opportunity to learn about Renaissance art and the history of these amazing castles.
Why take a day tour of Loire Valley from Paris?
- Multiple castles covered in one day tour from Paris
- Learn about Renaissance art and history for each of the castles and the Lore Valley itself.
- Click to take this day tour from Paris to Loire Valley Castles here
Best Day Tours from Paris for Wine Lovers
France is a wine lovers paradise. The French countryside is a beautiful contrast to the vintage and classic Paris. The recommended wine tours below include a round trip from Paris, wine tasting and a meal in France’s BEST wine areas.
Note: The legal drinking age in France is 18 years.
|Day Tours from Paris - Wine Lovers||Book Here|
|Day Tour to Bordeaux (14 hours)||Book Here|
|Full day tour - Champagne (8 hours)||Book Here|
Bordeaux Winery Tours from Paris day trip
Bordeaux is located in the southwestern part of France. With the introduction of high-speed trains here, the travel time from Paris to Bordeaux has been reduced to 2 hours which makes it perfect for a day trip from Paris. Typically it takes close to 3 hours to reach Bordeaux from Paris, so we highly recommend taking a tour, so that you don’t end up driving for 6 hours in a day or mix drink and driving.
You will be utilizing the high-speed train for this day tour as well. Upon arriving in Bordeaux, you will board a private mini-bus to start your exploration and wine tasting.
Bordeaux wines are mostly red wines made with Merlot and Cabernet Sauvignon.
This full-day tour of Bordeaux includes trying out 8 different types of wines, learning about winery and vineyards, and barrel tasting. For the price of the tour, you will also enjoy a full lunch, on a scenic terrace overlooking the countryside in Bordeaux.
A sightseeing tour of the small town -Saint-Émilion is also included. Saint-Émilion is a commune in Bordeaux known for its rich wine history. Learn more about the best places to visit in the South of France.
Why take this wine tour?
- Great value – Tour, lunch, and wine tasting. Pretty much your budget for the full day (14 hours)
- Return train ticket included in the price of the tour.
- Click to view prices and review of the day tour from Paris to Bordeaux here – wine tour
Champagne Wine Tours from Paris
Head to the heart of the champagne region in France – Épernay. Épernay is a commune, located about 130 kilometers from the north-east of Paris. In this full day tour of the Champagne region, you will be doing a guided tour of one of the prestigious and vintage French winery and champagne houses.
The most popular champagne house in the region is – Moet & Chandon. Moët & Chandon (or Moët) is a French fine winery and co-owner of the luxury goods company LVMH (or Moët Hennessy Louis Vuitton SE). It is one of the world’s largest champagne producers.
You will also explore other champagne houses in this tour, meet their owners and taste different wines.
This highly recommended tour also includes a 3 meal course (for lunch) infused with French flavors with 4 glasses of champagne to taste. A visit to a wine and champagne museum is a must for all wine lovers – you will also learn about the champagne making process in this part of France and learn how farmers make sparkling wines for special occasions.
Why take this day tour from Paris?
- Full day tour of 8 hours
- Lunch included, with wine and champagne tastings
- Guided tour of champagne house, visit a local farm and museum.
- Click to view prices and review of this day tour from Paris – Champagne Tastings here
Day trip to Disneyland from Paris
All for the love of Disney! Kids or adults – everybody wants to live their Disneyland fantasy. This recommended tour here is actually not a guided tour, rather it is an entry ticket to Disneyland Park (or two) with a visit to the Walt Disney Studios. The ticket is valid for 1 day and includes ROUND trip transportation to the Paris hotel.
You will be picked up from your hotel in a luxury vehicle and dropped off at Disneyland for a full day of activities. The ticket allows you to choose 1-2 park access. No lunch or meal is included.
Train rides from Paris to Disney Village is around 40 minutes. The train station is Marne-la-Vallée/Chessy, which just 2 minute walk from Disneyland Paris. Trains are operated by Regional RER and run until midnight. If you wish to utilize the trains and just book for Disneyland tickets, here is a popular option for you.
Why opt for this day trip combo ticket to Disneyland?
- Disneyland entry ticket, valid for 1 day + Round trip from Paris hotel
- Includes Disneyland Paris rides: Disneyland® Paris standard FASTPASS®
- Convenient transportation without waiting for a taxi or finding routes via RER trains.
- Click to get access to DisneyLand day trip transportation and tickets here
Best Day Tours from Paris to other countries
You can take quick day tours from Paris to neighboring countries like Belgium and England. These are full day tours (one day) and includes travel time with 5-8 hours of sightseeing. So although you won’t get to see the whole city, you can definitely explore the city’s best highlights in a day.
|Day Tours from Paris to Other Countries||Book Here|
|Day Tour to Bruges, Belgium||Book Here|
|Day Tour to London, England||Book Here|
Paris to Bruges Day Tour (Belgium)
With a day trip to Bruges in Belgium, you will be checking off another European nation on this day tour from France. Bruges is a stunning medieval town in Belgium, characterized by its beautiful market square (Grokt Markt), waffles, Burg fortress, and the Belfry tower. On this tour, you will be given free time to shop for Belgian Chocolates and other souvenirs, including boutique stores.
In this tour, you can explore the UNESCO Heritage site of Bruges and capture its architecture and take a romantic boat ride (additional charge, but can be done in the free time provided with the tour) in their iconic canals. For your lunch, spend time at the old market square or by the canal, and try out moules frites (mussels and fries) with Belgian beer.
This tour involves a lot of walking in Bruges, so wear comfortable shoes and clothes. It is usually warm and humid in Bruges during the day.
Why take a day tour to Bruges from Paris?
- Checking off city highlights from another country – 2 countries in one day
- Bruges can be explored in a day. Most of the city’s sightseeing areas are located in the old town square (by Grokt Markt)
- Tours also include guided tour of Bruges
- Note: The same Schengen Visa is applicable to both France and Belgium. No multiple visa entry is required as you won’t be leaving the Schengen visa zone.
- Click here to view prices and review of a day tour from Paris to Bruges here
Day trip from Paris to London (England)
Paris to London and back is possible. Thanks to the high-speed trains (we love Rail Europe), it is super easy and convenient to explore another city in less than 24 hours. This day tour utilizes the high-speed trains and takes you to London for a 16-hour sightseeing tour.
For a GREAT value (less than 300 USD), you can experience the highlights of London. The tour includes round trip transportation, walking tour, a cruise on the River Thames and an open-top sightseeing bus tour. Ample free time is provided for food and shopping.
Why take a day tour to London from Paris?
- Explore London city highlights
- Good value for money.
- Note: Visa for the UK is different from Schengen Visa applicable for both France and Belgium. A tourist visa, if any will be checked upon boarding the train.
- Click to view prices for Paris to London day tour
We hope you enjoyed our handpicked day tours from Paris. If you are looking for tours in Paris like the Louvre, Montmartre, Notre Dame, and more, read our guide to the best tours to take in Paris here
Make the most of your trip to Paris France!
- Get inspiration: Best Photography spots in Paris for your vacation
- More trips from Paris: Weekend Trips from Paris
- Paris Itinerary: 3 days in Paris Itinerary
- Hotels Guide to Paris here
- South of France: Explore the best destinations in the south of France
- Get tips on Europe’s Schengen Visa here
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links. If you click one of them, we may receive a small commission at no extra cost to you
Amazing list! I absolutely loved Disney Paris. Great tips about Versailles as well, I’ve been a few times and never seen it without a lineup!
Nothing to worry, once someone read this article. It is very detailed. Thanks for providing great info!
So many beautiful places to explore in France. I have always wanted to see St. Michel!
That’s nice ! I might go to Paris very soon and have 3 full days there! Maybe I shall re-consider a day tour as your suggested, probably a wine tour or somewhere still within France would be ideal! this post is very helpful , thanks!
That’s wonderful to hear! Happy travels!